Unlock Your Diet Recommendation, Join Today
The Paleo diet is based on the principle of consuming nothing but whole foods--in the same way as our ancestors did million of years ago. Therefore, the diet does not allow anything processed or packaged--dairy products, cereal, legumes, etc.
But then again, some foods that our ancestors did not eat are known to be very nutritious, such as beans which are a great source of numerous nutrients and dairy products which can be a great source of calcium and protein. Some experts insists on a slightly less strict variation of the Paleo diet should be followed to achieve optimal health.
Now, to come up with Paleo-accepted menus, it is important to know, first, which foods are allowed. Here's a list of 30 foods you can eat...
Lean meats play a big part in the Paleo diet. Not only does this food group excellent protein-sources, it promotes optimum growth as well.
1. Lean beef
2. Flank steak
3. Lean pork
4. Pork chop
5. Skinned chicken breast
6. Turkey breast
7. Organ meats = Beef, lamb, pork, and/or chicken liver, tongue, marrow, etc.
8. Game meat = alligator, bear, elk, goose, ostrich, quail, wild boar, etc.
Due to their potential cholesterol impact, it is recommended to only eat around 6 eggs a week.
9. Eggs = chicken eggs, duck eggs, quail eggs, etc.
Unlike meats, "fatty", oily-skinned fishes are the healthiest ones to consume, especially because they contain good fats and rich omega oils.
10. Fish = bass, cod, red snapper, salmon, tuna, etc.
Along with fish, shellfishes and crustaceans are also encouraged in the Paleo diet.
No fruit is not incorporated in the Paleo diet. Not only are fruits delicious, healthy and refreshing but there are also so much variety of taste and texture.
15. Fresh fruits = blueberries, avocados, cranberries, peaches, cantaloupe, kiwi, etc.
Vegetables, like fruits, account for the carbohydrates in the Paleo diet.
16. Green leafy vegetables = lettuce, cabbage, watercress, etc.
17. Root vegetables = broccoli, onion, pumpkin, squash, celery, etc.
18. Other vegetables = potato, carrot, etc.
Nuts and seeds make a perfect Paleo snack, which are great energy boosters. However, stir away from salted or artificially flavored nuts are these are not only against the Paleo diet, they's extremely unhealthy too.
20. Nuts = almonds, cashews, chestnuts, macadamia, pecans, etc.
21. Seeds = sesame, pumpkin, and sunflower seeds
Other food items on the list are:
22. Herbs = chives, rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage, parsley, mint, etc.
23. Spices = onions, garlic, ginger, pepper, chili, mustard seeds, vanilla, cinnamon, etc.
The only beverage really allowed in the real Paleo diet is water, preferably coming from spring water that is free of any chemicals.
Allowed, but must be taken in moderation are the following:
25. Dried fruits - No more than 2 ounces per day is allowed, especially if you're trying to lose weight.
26. Diet sodas - Diet sodas contain artificial sweeteners. It would be better to drink bottled or mineral water.
27. Coffee and Tea - Caffeinated drinks are not allowed in the REAL Paleo diet. But if you must, drink organic tea instead, as it is minimally processed.
28. Wine - No more than two 4-ounce glasses
29. Beer - Only one 12-ounce serving is allowed.
30. Spirits - No more than 4 ounces.